An ID service provided by the Open Administration Consortium of Catalonia, based on giving a single-use password to a mobile telephone, which has previously been registered with the Electronic Office of the Government of Catalonia.
What is it?
idCAT Mobile is an identification and electronic signature system intended for citizens based on sending single-use passwords to mobile devices. Citizens must register their mobile phone number with the Electronic Office database before they can use this system.
To register, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be older than 16
- Give evidence of identity using one of the following recognised documents: DNI, NIE reported on your residence permit, passport, identity document of a European Union country, or EU residence card or by providing information known to both parties (applicant and Administration) in the event of online electronic registration.
- Give the required information of an email address and a mobile phone for the purpose of identification and contact.
How do I register on the internet?
The online electronic registration form offers citizens the possibility of registering their contact details with the Electronic Office without having to travel to an office in person.
The online registration process is accessible at the following address: https://idcatmobil.seu.cat.
It can also be accessed from the space My folder using the Login with ID button as shown below:
The link leads to the CAOC ID screen where the citizen can register for the idCAT SMS service:
Online registration in the idCAT SMS service can be done with a digital certificate if the following requirements are met:
- Have a certificate of being a legal or corporate person or representative of a legal person.
- The certificate must be valid.
- It must be issued by an entity classified by the CAOC
People who have Spanish nationality can also choose not to use a certificate. In this case, you must prove your identity by providing the expiry date of your National Identity Card (DNI) and the barcode of your Individual Health Card (TSI) provided by CATSALUT.
You will also be asked for your mobile phone number for the purpose of identification and management of alerts and email. A single-use password will then be sent to your mobile telephone informing you that it must be entered to complete the registration process.
People who register online without using a certificate will receive, at the home address they have registered in their town council, a letter informing them of their registration with the Electronic Office. This is an additional measure to guard against impersonation.
How do I register in person?
To register your mobile phone number in the Electronic Office database, you must go to the Citizen Information Offices of the Government of Catalonia at the following addresses:
- Barcelona Citizen Services Office
C. Sant Honorat, 1-3
08002 Barcelona (Barcelonès)
- Cerdanya Citizen Services Office
Pl. del Rec, 5
17520 Puigcerdà (Cerdanya)
- Girona Citizen Services Office
Pl. de Pompeu Fabra, 1 (Edifici Santa Caterina)
17002 Girona (Gironès)
- Lleida Girona Citizen Services
C. Lluís Companys, 1
25003 Lleida (Segrià)
- Tarragona Girona Citizen Services
C. Sant Francesc, 3
43003 Tarragona (Tarragonès)
- Terres de l’Ebre Citizen Services
Plaça de Gerard Vergés, 1 (c. de Montcada cantonada c. de Benasquer)
- Barcelona Business Management Office
C. Sepúlveda, 148-150
- Lleida Business Management Office
Av. del Segre, 7
- Tarragona Business Management Office
C. Pompeu Fabra, 1
- Girona Business Management Office
Pl. de Pompeu Fabra, 1
- Catalan Tax Office. Barcelona Delegation
Passeig de la Zona Franca, 46
- Catalan Tax Office. Lleida Delegation
C/ Lluís Companys, 1
- Catalan Tax Office. Girona Delegation
C/ Barcelona, 54
- Catalan Tax Office. Tarragona Delegation
C/ Vapor, 4-6, 2n
- Delegation of the Government of Catalonia to the EU
Rue de la Loi / Wetstraat, 227
1040 - Brussels, Belgium
Telephone: +32 (0)2 231 03 30
Fax: +32 (0)2 230 21 10
At these offices you can register, change details and deregister in the file ‘Electronic Office of the Administration of the Government of Catalonia’ in person.
How do you use it?
If you wish to identify yourself using idCAT Mobile, you will need to enter your national identity card number (DNI, in the case of a Spanish citizen) and the mobile phone number you have registered in the database.
If the database does not find the identity document, or mobile phone number provided is not what has been registered in relation to the identity document, you will see an error message. In this case, you must modify the registry if it is wrong or register it if you have not previously done so.
If the data provided correspond to those registered, a password will then be sent to your mobile phone to enter into the field of text shown on the screen. From that time onwards, you can carry out any procedure or relevant paperwork.
Modification and cancellation of data and temporary suspension
The system provides for changes being made to the contact details at the offices where registration is done in person and, in the near future, at the Electronic Office self-service. You can add or modify your postal address, email and phone number.
Requests for voluntary cancellation of the data must always be done in person at a Citizen Attention Office.
If an individual notices improper use of the service, they may request the temporary suspension of access to data and the opening of a verification process. The request for temporary suspension of access must be managed in person at an office enabled to do so. In the future, the request may be made by internet, although the application must be completed in person at a Citizen Attention Office.